While I would not say it’s a productive quarter, overall there still have been some progresses during the first quarter since being solo.
In addition to diary-style posts, I wrote 16 analysis-related posts in 4Q18 surrounding the following topics:
- Marketplace – Online / Offline
- Gaming Console
- Digital Distribution – Gaming
- Network Effect
- Real Estate – Hotel Property
In terms specific company, I started / resumed the following companies during this quarter:
- Nintendo (7974.JP / NTDOY)
- Pingduoduo (PDD.US)
- Mercari (4385.JP)
- EPIC Games / Discord / Valve – STEAM
- China Education Group Holdings Limited (839.HK)
- No analysis on the blog yet as of December 31, 2018 while model and initial analysis are both in place.
Number of follower has reached 105 as of this rewriting with roughly 20% being the target audience and less than 10% being the engaged audience. The follower base and the engagement is the reality for someone not being associated with institution and without track record. That said, I believe there are some positive feedback loops (increasing return) in the dynamic as analysis getting deeper, coverage getting broader, synergy among topics / specific companies being created and contents being accumulated. At the time being, I would focus on economy of scale and scope on the supply side to drive the whole process. Traffic / reader base / follower base are metrics to gauge the effect.
I am trying to follow the concept what Charlie Munger has introduced. Contents created and posted here are just stocks in the feedback loops.
I finished several technical/leisure books this quarter. Technical books center around platform and leisure books are mostly Japanese novels. Book reading is an input in the aforementioned feedback loops. I probably spent much more time on tweets, blog posts and podcasts.
- Matchmakers: The New Economics of Multisided Platforms
- Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy and How to Make Them Work for You (TW-Translation )
- Modern Monopolies: What It Takes to Dominate the 21st Century Economy
- Valuation of Network Effects in Software Markets: A Complex Networks Approach (some chapters)
- The Model Thinker: What You Need to Know to Make Data Work for You (some chapters)
- Increasing Returns and Path Dependence in the Economy (some chapters)
- Platforms, Markets and Innovation (some chapters)
- Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know (some chapters)
- Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses (some chapters)
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World (some chapters)
* * * * *